Even ancient kings looked for meaning in their work.
In this day and age of work / life balance, we are forever in our search for meaning, we are no better than our ancestors.
The free world tries to sell the retirement plan as a meaning, rather than find meaning throughout our work / life.
The following is a short ancient text dating over 2500 years ago, highlighting our yearning for satisfaction in our labour.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. ~ Ecclesiastes, dating over 2500 years ago
To find happiness in our work (Toil) is a rare gift and the key to this ancient bit of wisdom is the opening line. This is not just talking about an income, it’s referring to a struggle that creates new life in everything we do.
He has made everything beautiful in its time.
It’s recognising what time it is that brings true meaning. Timing is everything.
– A time to be born, a time to die
– A time to plant, a time to reap
– A time to kill, a time to heal
– A time to breakdown, a time to build up
– A time to weep, a time to laugh
– A time to mourn, a time to dance
And the list goes on and on
Know what time it and synchronise with the master plan of life
– It’s always the right time for something
– This where we get unhinged. We want it to be summer when it’s winter and we waste the season of opportunity.
The only place where the sun shines indefinitely is the desert.
Find meaning in what you’re doing right now and don’t waste the season.